Stout Night – Belhaven Black Scottish Stout
Recently went out to have a drink with a few friends at McNellie’s South City here in Tulsa. It is rated the best beer bar in Oklahoma. A quick plug; lots of beer options, Beer Geek Specials that will bring you back, and a full restaurant if you are looking for food. To see my full review of the beer bar click here.
While there I sampled 3 of the many Dark and Roasty (Stout) beers on hand:
- Belhaven Black Scottish Stout, SCT, ABV 4.2%
- Yeti Imperial Stout, CO, ABV 9.5% (click for review)
- Iron Monk Milk Stout, OK, ABV (click for review)
Belhaven Black Scottish Stout
The Belhaven Black Scottish Stout was on special the day I visited McNellie’s and helped to set me on course for a night of stout beers. I like stout beer so this wasn’t an issue that plagued me in the decision-making. It was served from a can as shown in the picture and served a bit cold for my taste in beers. But all beers in America seem to be served too cold. As for the Belhaven Black Scottish Stout here are the particulars:
- Style: English Stout, Not a very heavy beer. I found it to actually be kind of watery for a stout. When held to the light I could see light coming through it (coppery color).
- Nitrogen Based rather than CO2 based. I liked that aspect of it, smaller bubbles that helped to push flavor and a minor creamy feel.
- Not much of a nose to it. You could smell the malt and it gave off a sweet caramel smell to me.
- Taste: Sweet with a hint of chocolate flavors, I did not catch the coffee flavors others have reported. If opportunity arises I may taste again. I found it to be a little thin for my desires of a stout taste. Not as much dark/burnt roasted malts as I would like to have. It did have a smooth mouth feel and I figure that was from the nitrogen. If it was a hot day and I wanted a beer with a little more taste than a pale ale it would probably be a decent choice, if no IPA’s were available.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Other beers drank that night:
Reviews are posted for these beers, click abover. Thanks for reading. I am headed home to have ABigBeer and relax for the end of the day.
Please provide us FEEDBACK on this post or submit a comment below: